Sunday, April 24, 2011

Week 13 posts due April 29


As sad as it may seem to all of you, this is actually our last week of posts. For this week, take a moment to share your favorite quote about traveling with your fellow China Tour participants. In addition, explain why the quote is so meaningful for you. To get things started, here's one of mine: "Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road/Healthy, free, the world before me/The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose...Strong and content, I travel the open road." (From Walt Whitman--"Song of the Open Road")

18 comments:

  1. One of my favorite quotes actually coms from a combination of a song and a Facebook status update. My friends and I were about to being on a road trip down to baltimore from NYC and my friend christopher played a song called "we live for the music" by Robbie Rivera. We then came up with our own quote because we wanted to make a status update. And now its a tradition before every time we travel we play the song and say "As our journey begins, We life for the music".!. Another one I like is "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page". ~St. Augustine because it makes you want to learn more about the surroundings around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite quote on traveling has to be:

    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

    I like this because it's a reminder that there are so many places I want to go to, and now is the time to do it. I'm young and in college and why wait, when we can travel now before settling in with a job and family. I don't want to be looking back on my life and wishing I would have gone there or done this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Vanessa--“I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within.” ~Lillian Smith “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” ~Mark Twain What I like about these two quotations is their focus on how traveling changes you on the inside – it doesn’t just change the things you see. I love to travel, and one of the main reasons is because I love to learn about new cultures and people, discover new places, and get out of my comfort zone. How are we supposed to grow if we aren’t willing to change our perspective on life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite quote of traveling:
    “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” --St. Augustine
    Different countries have various cultures. when traveling, we see different landscapes, hear different languages, and eat different food. we are learning while we are traveling. if we dont traveling, we only know what happens inside our country. Reading the histroy book, we cannot really know what the real face of other countries are, for the world is changing everyday. Therefore, traveling is a good teacher to teach us the foreign knowledge. Read the world by traveling when we are still young. Go to China and see her real face in the fast growing world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shanshan Zhang:

    “As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one other culture should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, to appreciate more lovingly, our own.” – Margaret Mead

    When I was small, I didn't understand why my father wanted me to travel so badly. Now, I understand his purpose. I have figured that it doesn't matter at what age one travels because regardless of the age; one will learn something new, not only from what one is able to see around but also from what one feels in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this quote by Izaak Walton
    "Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter."

    I can always relate to this when I leave home. Every time we hang out with good company or friends time seems to go faster. Specially when traveling, because there is never enough time to see and do everything we wish to do. So if we all try our best to be in good spirit then we will enjoy our trip and remember that time will always be our enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine

    I love to travel in general, seeing other cultures, meeting new people, etc. In my lifetime I want to travel as much as possible, and see all the wonders of the world and experience the most amazing places on the planet. To just stay in America your whole life and not see anything else i think keeps you bland and doesn't add an variety to you personality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Lost time is never found again.” Benjamin Franklin
    This quote reminded me a catchphrase said from a character, “Time is money friend.” The quote reveals that time is precious. When the time slips away, we cannot trace it back. I think it is fortune that we have the opportunity to go to on the trip together. I know most of you guys are the first time to China. But think differently, it could be your last time too. Therefore, we should spend our time wisely, and treasure the time that we stay together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Diana
    Follow us, and we will let you see everything. We can make you a good one because you have three Chinese and a group of experience people to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them." -Mark Twain

    I like this quote because, not only is it kind of witty and funny, but it also makes you think about our trip to China; even if we don't really get along, it's ok. Traveling is about getting to know a new culture and getting to know a group of people that you already know or that you have never been associated with.

    Another good one is "A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." -John Steinbeck

    Although I am not married, this reminds me that you don't have I be in control of the situation when you travel. Traveling is about experiencing new things, and we set aside preconceived notions about people and places and let the moment be in control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. “We must go beyond textbooks, go out into the bypaths and untrodden depths of the wilderness and travel and explore and tell the world the glories of our journey.”

    -John Hope Franklin

    There are lots of quotes about travel but I thought this would be good because it talks about going beyond just schooling. This is what we are all doing by going to China. Also it says how we should tell others of our explorations. Imagine if all the great explorers never told anyone of what they found. So I think that it is important to tell people about our experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Kyle--"One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things."
    -Henry Miller

    I really like this quote and think it can be greatly applied to our upcoming trip to China. Throughout our trip, we are going to be exposed to a whole new lifestyle and way of doing things, especially in their culture and the way they conduct business. We shouldn't view the locations we go on this trip as a simple destination on our itinerary, but should take in everything the places have to offer. Of course we are going to enjoy being with friends and sightseeing, but more importantly we should take with us the different means of doing things that the Chinese culture provides.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dont really have a favorite quote. I would say I like to use "When in Rome.. - Do as the Romans's" It just gives you and friends an excuse to try something new!! I am looking forward to trying new things in all the Chinese cities!

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Josh--
    When I was looking online for a quote, I found a few good ones. However, the quote that stood out to me was one that I remembered from long ago. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." This quote is especially meaningful because it is one of the more well-known ones. To me it means that when you are in a country other than your own, you must conform to what the other country's customs are. You can't just act like you are in your home country when in another one because it just won't fly. You can get into all sorts of trouble this way. If you conform to the laws and customs of the host country, things will go a lot smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too often travel, instead of broadening the mind, merely lengthens the conversation. ~Elizabeth Drew

    I like this quote because as travelers we do not always take into account what we are seeing. Like if we see the great wall of china, its like thats cool, but we do not really take time to soak in what we are seeing and soak in its history.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Brian - I really like that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Jessica,

    I LOVE your quote! I'm going to add it to my list! It is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of the quotes that I really like is:

    “Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” -Miriam Beard

    I like this quote because it pretty much describes my traveling experiences. After my very first trip I was never the same anymore and the more I have travel throughout the years the more I have changed and become more culturally diverse. I love the world and its differences, the different cultures and ideas, all of it is such a beauty. I feel like I have seen so little and hunger to see more. I can never go back to before; I don't even remember what before was!

    ReplyDelete